Re: [TowerTalk] Copper wire prices

To: richard@karlquist.com, k6xyz@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Copper wire prices
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:58:21 -0800
>From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
(SNIP)
>They do make insulated aluminum wire for speaker voice coils.
>I have been trying to find a vendor for that.  It would solve
>the corrosion problem.
>
>Rick N6RK

Waldom, who also makes various small electronic hardware, (screws,
terminals,etc) was the vendor for speaker parts for Speaker reconing shops.
I used to have a shop.  The Waldom speaker replacement parts Warehouse was
somewhere in New York.

The trick wire of the time was "ribbon wire" which made for very efficient,
sensitive speakers.  They took the round  voice coil wire, say about 26
guage,  and milled flats on top  and bottom making an almost thin
rectangular cross section wire  of maybe 1:5 dimension ratio.  Stacked on a
cylindrical speaker coil, the ribbon wire left no voids that the round wire
left, and made for much more efficient speakers.  JBL and Altec Lansing
Sound Reinforcement speakers also have ribbon wire....
Try finding Waldom Speaker components for aluminum speaker voice coil
wire...
73,
Pat  AA6EG  aa6eg@hotmail.com