Re: [TowerTalk] Query RFI

To: <WarrenWolff@aol.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Query RFI
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:57:23 -0500
As Dave has already said, Dimmers do make noise. Generally they are nothing
more than a triac (bi-directional SCR) and create a terrible wave form.

> Before someone jumps my case, I am posting here because I know  you
> TTalkers
> are after the really weak ones.
>
> I am told that low halogens are BIG generators of  noise.
> Is that really true?

Different lights, different problems.  I've never had problems with
Halogens. I have had problems with outside so called "security lights".
I'd be careful about "smart appliances" that use the power line, or can use
the power line for communications. The same is true for any "home plug"
appliances or systems.  They may or may not cause problems.

Having a "smart house" with wiring for communications, TV, Internet, and
security is nice, but each item brigs with it RFI risks which may or may not
materialize.  WiFi, 2.4 Gig cordless phones, and wireless TV cameras are not
usually a good mix, but again they can be worked around with some planning.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com