Re: [TowerTalk] custom aluminum panels

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "Jerrry BOYD" <exlasd@msn.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Richard M. Gillingham" <rmoodyg@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] custom aluminum panels
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:09:43 -0500
Following up on Jim's comment regarding the printer/laminate method
with a question - is there a way to do white on black (white letters
on black background material)?  My panels are black to go with all
the other stuff in the shack and the only thing I can find, to make
myself, is a Dymo labels.  I do too much rework to get a panel
engraved so looking for something that can be done with a printer, etc.

At 11:57 PM 11/27/2006, Jim Lux wrote:
>At 06:25 PM 11/27/2006, Jerrry BOYD wrote:
> >Me too!  Been trying to find someone to fabricate and professionally
> >label a new front panel for an amp.  Looks like this might do
> >it.  Thanks for posting
>
>Indeed.. the text is really nice, and you can draw boxes around
>things, etc.  Engraved and paint filled.  20 years ago, I used to
>send this stuff out to be photoengraved, and we had to make camera
>ready artwork, it took forever, etc. Now, the NC mill just does the
>engraving (sort of an industrial version of the "Things remembered"
>stores at the mall).
>

>By the way, the other really nice way to label panels is to print it
>on a good quality color printer and laminate it with  polycarbonate
>film about 10-30 mils thick that has a textured/frosted finish.  The
>film is available with the adhesive, or you get what is essentially
>wide double stick tape.  If you've seen the front of a Tek
>oscilloscope made 10-15 years ago (like a 2465) that's what it looks
>like.  You can also do LED backlights pretty easily.  You have them
>machine a rectangular or round hole that's the size of the LED, glue
>(or just push) it in, and then stick the front panel artwork over it.

         Mike, K4GMH