Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of Amateur Radio installations

To: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>,towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of Amateur Radio installations
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:15:38 -0800
At 07:23 AM 12/7/2006, Alan NV8A wrote:
>A brief summary of the current NEC provisions for grounding of radio and
>TV receiving and transmitting equipment is available here:
>
>http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=284
>
>73
>
>Alan NV8A

Something to bear in mind is that, in general, most jurisdictions
don't bother enforcing the NEC for amateur radio antennas (so don't
go out and buy all that AWG 10 Copperweld for your rhombic just
yet).  Not that they exempt amateur installations, it's just that
they don't bother enforcing, unless someone complains. When a realtor
in the neighborhood sicced the code enforcement people on me (long
story), they wrote me up because the coax from my roof mounted GPS
antenna was not being properly secured. Granted, it was an easy fix
(probably deliberately selected by the inspector for that reason),
but it goes to show that you can't be totally cavalier about the code.

That said, the NEC guidelines on grounding are worth following, even
if the rules about the radiating elements are ignored.

Jim, W6RMK