Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of Amateur Radio installations

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of Amateur Radio installations
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:55:29 +0000
Even though a second floor shack is not optimum, installing a well designed
grounding system is not out of the realm of possibilities.  Polyphaser has a
good technical article discussing exactly this problem.

In summary a well designed grounding system consists of the following elements:

1.  Tower or mast ground
2.  SPG
3. Lightning arrestors
4. Shack ground
5.  Service entrance ground

All five must be tied together, outside, for it all to work.  Leave out any
part, and Mother Nature has an entry route.  Yes, being upstairs from your SPG
is a problem but what you'd need to do is install the lowest
resistance/impedance ground from your shack to the rod.  The best would be
copper strip a number of inches wide.  With everything listed connected
together, when your system gets that energy surge from a strike or nearby
strike (up to a mile away can induce enough current to fry electronics) then
everything rises in voltage together and there is no potential difference
between grounds which is what zaps your electronics.

Simple disconnetion outside can work, as far as eliminating the lightning
arrestor part of the above list but you'd then still need to take care of all
the other listed items.  A surge via your power lines can also zap your
electronics even if the coax is disconnected.  The best would be to totally
disconnect your rig and put it in the closet but I'd doubt you'd do it every
time and it only takes one time to get bummed out.   Worst case you might have
lightning getting into the house and that can be bad also.

Phil  KB9CRY

From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>