Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Some connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Some connectors
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:31:55 -0500

>    How one seals a connection and what one chooses to seal the
> connection may vary according to the part of the county a station is
> located.   One technique which the locals here have used to seal coax
> connections (particularly around barrell connectors) is to take a piece
> of  plastic kitchen wrap (Saran wrap or Handi-wrap) and wrap it around
> the entire connection.   Then use black tape to wrap around the plastic
> wrap.   To remove it, use a utility knife to make a slit and peal it
> off.  The PL-259s and Barrell connector will look new.    How this would
> work in a salt environment is unknown.   Stronger measures would likely

As long as the tape goes far enough beyond the end of the Saran Wrap, or
Handi-Wrap (TM) to prevent the moisture from getting in I'd say this is
probably one of the most durable you will find... as long as the wrap is
done properly.  (no wrinkles and tight which can be a challenge.) I'd never
thought of it before but I like the idea.

The Saran is durable, flexible, can be stretched to be conformal, and vapor
proof. Handi-Wrap might be easier to apply as it's just like the Saran Wrap
but doesn't stick to itself as badly.  I can just see myself on top of the
100 foot tower trying to wrap a connection with a 3" wide strip of Saran
Wrap with a little breeze a blowin'. <:-))

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com