Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4-square materials

To: "'Mike Fatchett'" <mike@mallardcove.com>, <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4-square materials
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:36:22 -0500
Dave,

I've seen the Array Solutions verticals at NT1Y. The aluminum tube elements
are very heavy duty. I don't recall the diameter at the base, but they must
be on the order of 4"-6". In any case, they're big enough to be
freestanding. Each element has a heavy-duty base support with a manual winch
mechanism used to raise and lower the element. Undoubtedly, this is a pricey
alternative.

You should check out KT1V's full-size four square. K1RX designed it. The
elements are made of irrigation tubing. I believe several pieces are spliced
together to make each element. Each element has a simple hinged base (can't
remember exactly, but I think it's a couple of 4x4s sunk in the ground with
a long bolt between them.) A couple (?) of sections of Rohn 25 are sunk in
the ground in the middle of the array. There are pulleys on the top and
ropes running to the elements. The ropes are used to haul the elements to
the vertical.

Another option is to use three or four sections of Rohn 25 for each element
base, and telescoping aluminum tubing for "whips" on top of the bases. For
each element, I'd sink a section of Rohn 25 a few feet into the ground, put
insulators on top, and add three sections of Rohn 25. For the whips, I'd use
6-foot sections of telescoping aluminum tubing, e.g., 6061-T6. Simply nest
all the sections, mount to the top of the top section of Rohn 25, and extend
each section in turn, top to bottom. If you start with at least 2" diameter
tubing at the bottom, the whips will be self-supporting. I used an identical
procedure to make a 40m 4-square. BTW, the raised insulators would allow for
either elevated radials or ground-mounted radials. W4AN (SK) had an 80m
4-square built in a similar way. There's still a description of it at
http://w4an.contesting.com/80m.htm. Some of the picture links are broken,
but the text is clear. Bill used fewer tower sections and longer whips.

Hope this helps.

73, Dick WC1M