Re: [TowerTalk] K9AY loops-- phased

To: "'Terry Conboy'" <n6ry@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] K9AY loops-- phased
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:23:00 -0500
> On the other hand, as K4SAV describes, the array of verticals has
> a null at zenith, which could help attenuate lightning static and
> NVIS QRM.

The K9AY can be "fixed" if you are willing to use additional supports
to make the loop square.  The high angle response is due to the sloping
"verticals."  However, given the performance of the whip 4-squares, the
effort is not justified.

> Incidentally, models of the DX Engineering array actually show
> slightly better RDF (a few tenths of a dB) at closer spacings than
> 1/4 wl (with appropriate phasing).  I suspect the arrays of EWEs and
> K9AYs would be similar.

Yes, closer spacing produces better RDF for the K9AY and EQE arrays.
However, the closer spacing comes at a big cost in signal levels on
the lowest band - overall "gain" can be as little as -35 dBi which
then requires a rather stout, low noise, low IMD preamplifier or the
benefits of the array are lost in the IMD and preamplifier noise.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV