Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: "Richard W. Solomon" <w1ksz@earthlink.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:32:07 -0800

#1.. decide what your risk strategy is, ranging from
Most Conservative: Must operate with 5 9's availability, even after
receiving multiple direct hits from positive 300kA strokes.
Least Conservative: Shrapnel from failed components doesn't fly more
than 1000 ft from the system.

Realistically, you'll be somewhere in between. It's important to
figure out, though, what you want to protect against.  Is it a direct
strike?  Is it induced pulses from nearby strikes, etc.?

And then, you need to figure out how conscientious you are (or want
to be) about things like disconnecting coax.  If you're like me,
there will be times you forget or get busy, and wouldn't you know it,
it's when you ran outside to cover up the furniture so the rain doesn't get it.

part of this is assessing the liklihood of the event.  Here in
Southern California, you would probably be better off investing in
seismic strapdowns and such than protecting against a direct hit by
lightning.  Most overvoltage impulses around here are from things
like power line crosses onto phone and other wiring or MV
distribution falling on LV lines, often from the wind blowing the wires down.

#2... decide how much you want to spend on lightning/impulse
protection vs what the equipment is worth vs getting a decent
insurance policy (say, via ARRL).  No point in spending $10K on
lightning protection to protect a $1000 rig. (I've seen it done,
though, in a remote telemetry system that needed 24/7 kind of
availability.. the cost of the protected equipment was insignificant
in comparison to the value of having the data.)  What do you want to
survive?  Is it ok if the coax is damaged, but the rig
survives?  What's your "time/money to repair" situation? Can you
afford to wait til the insurance company cuts you a check, and the
new stuff arrives?
(The insurance policy might require some protective measures, too.)

Recognize that advice you get from others (including me) is colored
by previous experience and the advisor's personal risk acceptance and
required availability/reliability strategy.
What's reasonable and appropriate for an Airport Traffic Control
Tower might not be so reasonable for casual HF operating.

#3.. look at the regulatory requirements (the "code"), but those are
actually fairly easy to meet and are more for electrical safety than
lightning protection.  The coax shield can serve as the required
grounding bonding conductor for instance.  The Mike Holt "Low Voltage
Handbook" (free for downloading on the Mike Holt website) covers all
this stuff quite nicely.

Then, have at it.

Most likely, some sort of transient suppressor at the Coax entry,
with a good grounding system, and disconnecting the coax when you're
not on the air, would be all you need.  In this scheme, stuff
"outside" is essentially sacrificial in the event of a direct hit.

Jim, W6RMK