Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: "'Jerry Keller'" <k3bz@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:49:16 -0500
Jerry,

I believe the idea is to ensure that there's not a voltage differential
between the top and bottom of the coax. If there is, a charge could travel
from one end to the other, damaging the coax.

In the typical amateur installation, the coax shield is probably grounded
inside the shack, but nowhere else. Many antennas, such as yagis, dipoles,
vees, etc., don't ground the shield. It's likely that a surge picked up by
the element connected to the shield will travel all the way to the shack,
causing damage.

In a better installation, the coax shield is connected to a single-point
ground outside the shack. That may save the equipment in the shack, but a
surge will still travel from the antenna to the single point ground,
possibly damaging the coax (many have found "pinholes" in the coax jacket
from this.)

An even better installation will ground the coax shield at the base of the
tower, perhaps where it connects to a switch or to a set of lightning
suppressors. But the charge can still travel from an antenna at the top of
the tower to the base, damaging the coax.

The solution is to ground the coax shield at the top and bottom of the
tower. Special grounding kits are made for coax and heliax for this purpose.
You strip off a section of the jacket and wrap a copper strap around the
shield. The strap has a wire that clamps to the tower. You have to use vapor
wrap and tape or special booties to waterproof the area where the strap
connects to the cable.

Professional installations are done this way. I'm not sure, but I think the
coax may be grounded at several places on the tower when the runs are very
long.

Of course, a charge can still travel down the center conductor, even if
there's a lightning suppressor at the bottom of the tower. It's always
puzzled me that companies like Polyphaser don't recommend mounting
suppressors at the top of the tower, too.

73, Dick WC1M