Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Masts

To: "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Masts
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:59:45 -0500
FWIW, I selected an aluminum mast for my new tower installation. It's has
1/4" walls. It's made of the same stuff as my heavy-duty gin pole, which I
got from the same place (WB0W.) It was much less expensive than carbon steel
or chrome molly, and I was able share the truck freight with the gin pole.

But it's important to note that my 12' mast has 6' in the tower and 6' out,
with a 40-2CD (6 sq ft and 41 lbs) clamped to the mast about *six inches*
above the top thrust bearing. There's virtually no bending moment on the
mast. The boom strut attaches to the mast about two feet above the boom.
There's nothing above that. With this kind of installation, even somewhat
thinner wall aluminum tubing would probably do.

I wouldn't have used aluminum had there been any significant wind load more
than a couple of feet above the top of the tower.

73, Dick WC1M