Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup tower raising

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup tower raising
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 08:56:53 -0800
From: "Gary Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 7:53 AM
> I own two US Towers MDX-589-MDPL, a LM470D,....
> Towers HDX-89-MDPL are new >

> Also, the LMR-470, while
> a very nice tower, does not have the ratings to really want to stress it
> with a very big yagi fully extended in a big wind anyhow. My U.S.Towers
> are substantially tougher towers than my LM-470 ....
>
>     Gary     W5FI

According to both manufacturers wind load specifications, the U.S, Towers
are not "...substantially tougher towers than (my) LM-470." !  A few years
ago the LM-470 manufacturer claimed to have started using a stronger leg
tubing which upped the wind load capability considerably such that the
LM-470 specification at 70mph was about 30 % higher than the equivalent U.S.
tower (and also the HDX589).

I have both a U.S. tower HDX572 and the newer LM-470D.  While the U.S. tower
looks stronger (and has larger tubing), the wind load specification is less.

Except for the wind load specification I prefer the HDX572, however.

k7puc