Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB3 or TB4

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB3 or TB4
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:01:19 -0600
I have been watching this thread as much as possible since I just bought a Rohn
Tower. And am looking at options for fitting it for
further use.

At this time at least I don't need a thrust bearing because this assembly uses
a Rotor Top section, however, I may need one later
on.

I use to have one on my 48 foot HDX48 years ago when I was still active in
1986. It held a Cushcraft 5 Element fifteen meter mono, 6
Element 10 Meter Mono, 4 Element 20 Meter Mono, a 17 Element for 2 Meters and
strapped a couple of dipoles to the side. Never had
any wind problems or anything else.

I used a HamIV Rotor (rebuilt it myself before mounting) with a Rohn Thrust
bearing on top of the tower. Had no problems for years
in the scorching humidity of South Central Texas in San Antonio.

One would think that after all these years of experience, expertise and success
that Rohn would have it down right. What I mean is
that according to the theory of Name Brand, Top Of The Line, ect ect that they
would be the boys to go to for anything tower
related.

Seriously this sounds bad, what happened, did they get bought out? I remember
when they were the only ones to consider, has
something changed with them I am not aware of?

  73 fer nw es gud DX,
QSL VIA: BUR, LotW, e-QSL
Bob AD5VJ(AAR6VM)
Old calls: WY5L/KH3-KE5CTY-N5IET