[TowerTalk] Yaesu G-1000 Anomaly

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-1000 Anomaly
From: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:11:13 -0500
I last rotated the antennas during the ARRL 10 meter contest in December.
The antennas were left pointing south-southwest. I went to rotate the
antennas last night and could only move them +/- 10 degrees.

I climbed the tower today and didn't find anything binding. I repeatedly
moved the antenna as far as it would go in each direction and it eventually
did the full 450 degrees. It seems to be operating fine now.

I'm in Central Florida (78 degrees at the moment), so ice or extreme cold
was not the problem. The G-1000 is around 6 years old and has been rotating
the current stack for about a year now without any problems.

I suspect that the grease is hardening (I found that in an older G-2700 that
was completely frozen from the grease hardening), but the rotator isn't that
old.

I've got a G-2800 to swap it out with, but want to hold off until I do some
other antenna work.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any better ideas as to the cause?

Tnx,
Doug
K4DDR