Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods in rocky soil

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods in rocky soil
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:56:59 -0800
At 12:17 PM 1/21/2007, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
>Thanks to all who responded to my question about ground rods in rocky  soil.
>
>UFERs seemed to be highly recommended.
>
>I may be able to use something like that.  The tower is about 400 feet  away
>from the house and will probably be grounded in the traditional  way enhanced
>with radials.  However, the entry point at the house may  be able to use the
>UFERs, although am not sure if what I'm using  would qualify as UFERs.
>
>Most houses in Hawaii are built on a post and pier system, using a system  of
>shear walls on footers.

One of the Ufer style grounds described in a paper by Phillip
Rowland, "Industrial System Grounding for Static, Lightning, and
Instrumentation, Practical Applications", in IEEE Trans on Industry
Apps, Vol 31, #6, Nov /Dec 1995, p1358-1362 is lots of concrete piers
connected together (as used to support a steel frame building, for instance.

So, your piers probably have rebar in them.. if they are tied to the
bolts?  Actually, interestingly, for a Ufer type ground, all the
metal doesn't have to be connected.  Just there has to be at least 20
ft total.  The idea is that it provides a relatively high
conductivity path within the concrete.  So you might be able to just
use lugs on the attachment bolts.

>At the entrance point to the house for all the
>radio cable, telco and power will be an L-shaped footer about
>14  feet long with
>rebar in it.  My plan, in addition to using as many radials  and the
>ground rod
>the electrician will install, is to tie into that footer and  any other
>footers within about 20 feet or so to help enhance the ground  system.

Why not.