Re: [TowerTalk] Tree mounting yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com, stevek@jmr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tree mounting yagi
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:00:20 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2007 7:25:02 P.M. Central America Standard T,

>>      "I did like the tree mounting  option. I've  installed a bunch of
yagis
including 2L 40M beams in  trees and they work like  gangbusters. You might
have a
problem  with tree movement if you use a dish but  no problems with a  yagi."

>  Question: How do you keep the rotator bearings round  if you try rotating a
large yagi when it's not perfectly level?  Does  this really work, and last
any reasonable length of time?  I've worn  out bearings with large beams when
they were only about 1 degree off level,  so I can't imagine what happens
with 5 degrees...

    Well, you're right - nothing's plumb on the tree.  But the only real
rotator problem I've seen (and it's the only one that I  can remember) was a
T2X
turning a KT34XA. The wind eventually caused the steel  bearings to hammer into
the aluminum races and dimple them but the  antenna was still turning. This
is a larger installation than I'd recommend so  you pay your money and take
your chances.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -