Re: [TowerTalk] Tree mounting yagi

To: kkanakas@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tree mounting yagi
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:28:06 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2007 8:20:14 A.M. Central America Standard T,
kkanakas@cisco.com writes:

>  Would it be better to use an appropriate through bolt/nut to  ensure that
it does not come off
over time.?

    IMO a 6" or so lag bolt is plenty, especially  when you've got 4-5 of
them holding the pipe mount. A through-bolt might be a  little better but I'd
rather not spend the time drilling thru the tree trunk  when the improvement is
marginal.

>  Would the tree need any kind of treatment just to prevent soft  wood like
pine rotting
in a few years due to the wound.

    They make a tar-like material for covering tree  pruning areas where
there isn't any bark. It dries up over time and loses  its capability so you'd
have to re-do it every once in awhile. You have to  send an arborist up the
tree
occasionally - every 3-5 years - to prune the new  growth anyway so you can do
both at the same time. It's amazing how much  trouble one little sucker
branch can be - one smaller than my little finger  can stop the whole antenna
from
turning

>  Once the tree is topped, how do you get to the top to rig  the rotor/beam?

    I climb the danged thing. I bought a set of  gaffes - tree climbing hooks
- for that reason. I can do the whole  installation with 2 trips up the tree
- once to install the pipe mount and rig  the tram and the second to install
the antenna and cables.

>  Do you use a crane with a bucket.?

    I have a couple of times and it makes the job a  lot easier.

>  Sounds really adventurous as compared to climbing towers.  :)

        Well, it's mostly a lot  dirtier and a lot more work. Not as much as
fun as when you did it as a kid -  hi.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH