Re: [TowerTalk] Which rotor for a tree setup - Ham 3, Ham 4 ,other

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kkanakas@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which rotor for a tree setup - Ham 3, Ham 4 ,other
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:41:33 EST

In a message dated 2/12/2007 11:21:00 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,

>  I am just waiting on a decision from my Hoa Architecture  board on a
choice between a
Aluma 50ft crankup with a 3Ele steppIr + Tv  antenna (versus) the 3Ele
stepper on top of
a 70ft pine.
I am trying to  decide on a Rotor should the tree proposal win.
I have a Ham 3 and a Ham 4.  They work fine, but i can refurb them prior to
install as
added  insurance.

Hiya, Krish --

    Either one will work FB with this relatively  small antenna. I usually
steer my tree-mount customers towards TailTwisters  because they are more
robust.

    How are you going to mount the rotator? I use a  4' long or so piece of
galvanized water pipe and lag screw it to the tree  (there's a horizontal piece
welded to the vertical pipe to provide torque  resistance) with 4-5 half-inch
by six inch lag screws.

    In this case the rotator is mast mounted. Hy-Gain  has 2 mast mounting
brackets and either one will be fine. There is a small  version for the Ham
series and a larger one for the T2X.

    I suspect that the HOA will disapprove your tower  which isn't fatal
since trees are unregulated!

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH