[TowerTalk] Anything Wrong With This Set-up??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anything Wrong With This Set-up??
From: <w1nk@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:28:41 -0500
It looks like my wife has agreed to the idea of my putting up a small tribander
in the woods behind our house.  After doing some looking around, what seems to
fit the bill of a low profile set-up is a Mosley Mini-33A WARC on a 30 foot
mast & concrete-mounted tipping base as supplied by Charles Penninger, KC9DAO
(www.penninger.com) .  The rotor (my rebuilt then stored HD73) will be
base-mounted.  Obviously the mast will have upper & lower sets of guys &
rotating guy rings.

With that brief description of my plans, and having never raised a tribander
(except on a low roof-mounted tripod) I've a few questions:

1) What would be an appropriate guying "system"? Phillystran or something else?
I assume 5/16" Dacron line is NOT recommended.

2) How is proper guy tension determined?

3)What is the best method for anchoring the guys? Earth anchors? Cement? Heck,
could I bolt the guys to the bases of the nearby trees (8-12+ inches in
diameter)? .... admittedly this sounds a little dumb.

Antenna issues aside .... I realize this is a compromise antenna as compared to
a C3SS or SteppIr .... Is there anything "wrong" with this set-up?  What other
things should I consider?

Frank, W1NK