Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Software...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Software...
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:35:07 -0600
If you are thinking phased verticals, yes this is doable in a variety of
ways.  I hope you are not thinking two element Yagi.  A two element 80
meter Yagi is a very large undertaking mechanically.  Take a look at the
Optibeam OB2-80+ for an example.
http://www.optibeam.de/
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and are very good at
mechanical design, you will probably be better off just buying this.
Don't forget about the 100 ft plus tower you will need to effectively
use this. 150 ft would work much better.

I don't want to discourage you from learning the NEC programs.  They are
very useful, and yes they can model this antenna. There are two free
programs and a demo available.  These programs run NEC2, except
MMANA-GAL runs a modified version of MININEC.

You can get the free demo version of EZNEC which is fully functional
except for limiting you to 20 segments, which will be good only for
simple antennas.  Download the EZNEC 4.0 Demo program.
http://www.eznec.com/
Be sure and consult the EZNEC help file for answers to your questions.

Another option is MMANA-GAL.  It is also free.
http://mmhamsoft.amateur-radio.ca/

A full blown version of NEC2 including an optimizer. 4NEC2 (free)
http://home.ict.nl/%7Earivoors/Home.htm
Another site with reference info on the same program:
http://www.ok1rr.com/view.php?cisloclanku=2006022401
A disadvantage of this program is that there is no English version
manual, there is a German version.  If you are just starting to learn
NEC then this one would not be the best choice because of that.

I use EZNEC version 4 mostly.  It does a few things that you can't do
with the other programs, although it does not have an optimizer like
4NEC2.  EZNEC has several ground choices and is easier to use for
vertical antennas because it allows the use of a Mininec ground,
although you have to manually insert the losses.

Jerry, K4SAV