[TowerTalk] prop pitch rotors

To: frohro@wwc.edu
Subject: [TowerTalk] prop pitch rotors
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:39:13 EDT
Rob,

First the prop pitch motor is a 24-28 v motor and will run close to 1rpm at
those voltages.  The brake is energized when sufficient current passes
through the coil. But it is recommended to remove the brake components as they
are
not needed.  To do this remove the motor from the gear housing, to make  it
easier to handle, by tapping the large retaining NUT/Ring (castle nut) by
tapping it CCW using a soft punch.  A little lubricant helps.  With  the motor
loose the end cap of the motor can be removed exposing the brake  components.
remove the brake disk and other parts of that assembly.   Replace the end cap
and
you are ready to test.  There is a common lead  and the other leads provide
CW or CCW rotation.    In my system  the power supply is nominally 32V at the
base, and can deliver 20amps.   More than enough.  But allowing for voltage
drop is a consideration in the  selection of a power source.  Green Heron and
K7NV have combined to supply  a very good Power supply, control box and read
out
package.  I have use  Prop pitch motors as a rotator for over 35 years with
out any failures.

regards,
Norm W4QN

Message:  8