[TowerTalk] Newbie to "grips" Tower question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Newbie to "grips" Tower question
From: Doug Hansel <mustbhe@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
OK, sorry about this, but I have to ask.... what is the prevailing wisdom on
big grips compared to cable clamps for guying 3/16 EHS?
I'm making plans to put up my 70ft 25g with a 3el Steppir.  I've never used
grips before and although I understand how they are supposed to work, I'm
curious if folks think that grips could fail quicker than cable clamps in any
situations?

The reason all this came about is that I'm trying to figure out how much guy
wire I really need and what lengths to cut.  Obviously if I go with cable
clamps, I need to have extra cable for each point where it wraps through the
terminating object, be it an anchor, insulator, tower, or turnbuckle. It sure
seems like the grips will help me calculate the size of the wire easier?

Lastly, what do most folks do for insulators on the guys?  I understand that I
want to have one within a foot or of the tower, but how often after that?  I
want to minimize interaction, but I also don't want overkill on insulators
either.

what about the bottom set of guys?

Thanks in advance for the advise!  This list is such a great resource!

Doug AA1UI

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail