Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wc1m@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Cable
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:44:11 EDT

In a message dated 3/14/2007 4:36:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  My understanding is that EHS is "galvanized steel cable",  which is not the
same as wire rope.

    Rope is "a strong, thick line or cord, commonly  one composed of twisted
or braided strands of hemp, flax, or the like, or of  wire or other material".
And technically, it's only cordage above one inch in  circumference and below
10 (bigger-around than that is a cable).

    Wire rope is a generic term used to describe just  what it is. In amateur
circles we tend to use several different terms for the  same thing; e.g. guy
wires, guy cables, etc.

>  While they might have the same breaking strength,  other
characteristics may be quite different, such as abrasion  resistance.

    Umm, I'm not sure about the abrasion resistance  but each wire rope is
characterized by the material, its lay (either right or  left), the number of
strands and the number of strand bundles that make up the  completed wire rope;
most crank-ups use 7x19 wire rope because all of the  small strands make it
easily bendable and flexible so it can pass  over pulleys many times without
any
damage.

>  Rohn specs call  for EHS, not wire rope. I wouldn't fool around with
anything
other than  what the spec calls for.

Yep - the LXC Prime Directive still applies: DO  what the manufacturer says.

    BTW there are 7-8 different grades of wire rope  for a given size; e.g.
1/4" - galvanized, utility grade, stainless steel, EHS,  etc. - and it's really
important to use the right grips with the right wire  rope. They are NOT
interchangeable.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH