Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Cable

To: <eric@k3na.org>, <K7LXC@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Cable
From: "K8RI" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:34:32 -0400
My self, I still prefer Phillystran or how ever it's spelled, but I'd not be
concerned using "wire rope" with the proper specifications to guy a tower.
The last commercial tower I climbed which was just a little 250 footer and
nearly 10 years ago, used 1" wire rope which is quite common around here at
least on older towers.
BTW the tower was one of those that stands pretty much on a gimbaled, or
pivot point.

<snip>
>   Guy cable does not need to bend and straighten as it passes around
> the sheaves of pulleys.

The bends around insulators and thimbles can be every bit as drastic as
around the proper size pully. It's just the cable is not makeing repeated
bends and does not need the flexibility usually found in wire rope of a
given size.