Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Coax Support Sleeve

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Coax Support Sleeve
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 01:38:22 -0400
>Say triple for the latter, if 1/2 inch. Maybe 50-60 lbs for the former.

I went to college in Northern NY and I think the ice storm of '98
deposited about 3 inches of radial ice on everything that stayed in
the air long enough to gather that much ...

That would be 3200lb of ice on a 72 foot run of coax... no wonder all
of the power lines hit the ground, as did all the antennas at the
Clarkson club station, K2CC.

Does anyone build for that?  Is it economical to build towers and
antennas to withstand several inches of radial ice?

Anyone have any experience building for several inches of ice
accumulation on yagi elements?    Might make for interesting reading.
I'm probably not going to move back to the frozen north, but it makes
me wonder.

In our club's case, it was all OK; the insurance we had on the ham
antennas bought us a new CC X9 ;-)

Dan