Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G2800 Rotor Calibration Question and Complaint

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G2800 Rotor Calibration Question and Complaint
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:08:20 -0700
I agree that nearly $50 is an outlandish price to pay for a replacement
plug, especially one that based upon similar reports couldn't have been
too robust in the first place.  That being said, I think Jim is probably
correct that Yaesu might correctly perceive that to be approximately the
actual cost to them for the administrative hassle of handling such a
transaction.  They certainly don't expect your payment to be significant
to their business whether you pay $2 or $200, and I'm sure they'd rather
you went elsewhere to solve the problem anyway.

Some companies value their customers' good will above all else and
bypass their bureaucracy to send out a replacement part or sample.  I
(and others in my group) did it all the time when I managed part of
Motorola's discrete semiconductor operations.  Other companies don't
much focus on individual customers (it is actually a valid business
model even if we don't like it) and either ignore them or "gouge" them
to make them go away.  If you buy from the first category you have some
measure of confidence that you won't be left stranded no matter what
happens.  If you buy from the second you'd better hope that the
reliability of the product is so great you won't ever need them, or that
the lower price you might have paid for the product in the first place
(as a result of their streamlined business model) offsets any risk of
ownership.

Yaesu makes some fine equipment but it doesn't take much reading of the
various online reviews and forum archives to find that they've proved
time and time again for both rigs and rotators that they fit the second
category.  Given the size of the company and the global nature of their
business, that might be the right model for them.  I suspect there are
more long term survivors in the second category than in the first.
Doesn't mean I'd always choose to buy from them, though.

Dave   AB7E