Re: [TowerTalk] 160 M vertical and snow.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 M vertical and snow.
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:13:13 -0400
>      When the snow covers the base of my 160M vertical the resonance point
> drops by about 20 KHz (from about 1830 to 1810) or so.  Wet snow seems to do
> more than dry snow.  Since the bandwidth is fairly narrow I do have to pay
> attention to the difference.

Is it a base loaded vertical?  The base of the coil is a low impedance
point but the antenna side of the coil is high.... so proximity of
even a good dielectric to the element in a short base loaded antenna
gives a significant detuning effect.

My 10kHz wide 40 foot high base loaded antenna on 160m was super
sensitive to proximity of any object, dielectric or otherwise (me).

Dan