[TowerTalk] Large Loop Antenna - Electrostatically Shield Loops

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Large Loop Antenna - Electrostatically Shield Loops
From: "Fred Mott" <fredmottcpa@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:38:42 -0400
I am planning to install a large loop antenna for 160/80/40 meters on my
155? Rohn 45G tower.  I have been reading all the articles and information
that I have seen.  I plan on using ½ inch vinyl coated hardline rather than
wire.  I have read all I could find on electrostatically shielded loops.   I
seem to think that the hardline would work with its outer aluminum conductor
being the shield and the inter-conductor copper wire as the loop.  The
shield would be open at the top of the tower.  The loop would be close to a
diamond shape in a vertical plane perpendicular to the earth.  I would
assume that the velocity factor of the hardline .81 would change the formula
from 1005/f to 814/f.  The hardline from the loop will intersect the tower
at approximately 10 to 15 feet and would go straight down through a PVC tube
into the basement of my Orchard Storage Building.  At that point the coax
shields would be bonded together to a bus bar that connects to the tower?s
grounding system and the inter conductors would connect to a Ten Tec 253
antenna tuner.

I would like to hear from anyone that has had any experience with the
Electrostatically Shielded Loop Antenna.  What do you think?   Fred Mott,
AB8AH