Re: [TowerTalk] Large Loop Antenna - Electrostatically Shield Loops

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@copper.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Large Loop Antenna - Electrostatically Shield Loops
From: "Frederick M. Mott" <ab8ah@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:17:38 -0400
Bill, the answer to your question is in Chapter 5 of the ARRL 20th edition
of the ARRL Antenna Book.  The nonmagnetic shield is "to maintain loop
balance with respect to ground, by forcing the capacitance between all
portions of the loop and ground to be identical".  By maintaining the
electrical loop balance is to eliminate what is referred to as the antenna
effect.  You can read on and learn a lot.  Sometimes theory works when you
put it to a practical use, sometimes it doesn't.  I am just want a good loop
antenna and I am sure someone has tried it and I want to know of their
experience and results.  Fred