Re: [TowerTalk] Self Supporting Rohn 45g

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Self Supporting Rohn 45g
From: "Mike Coogan" <mikegc@pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:27:23 -0700
> With the added height requirement, I'm considering changing the base
> to an
> imbedded base section with two straight and one pointy-top sections.
>
> Is it safe to freestand a 28' Rohn 45g with 4-5 sq.ft. of antennas on
> top?
> With real beams (C4, TH6DXX, A4, 204ba, etc.), I woldn't consider it.
> But,
> for these two 'lightweight' antennas?
>
> Thanks in advance for any info, guidance...
>
> 73,
> Dale, kg5u

Dale,
My Rohn Tower book says yes, depending on rated wind speed zone for your
area. Worst case listed is for 90mph, 4 sq.ft. and no ice. This includes
3- (7/8") and 3- (1/2") feedlines.
Must use "fixed" base, ie. plant bottom section in the concrete base.
The foundation called for is 5'3" square, 4' deep, 4.1 cu yds. rebar
etc.
At 70mph, your good for 12 sq.ft.

Mike
KB7ME