[TowerTalk] Hardwired coax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hardwired coax
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:49:28 EDT
Howdy --

    I'd like an estimate of the implication to SWR of  hardwiring some
RG-213. By that I mean using crimp butt connectors to couple the  inner
conductor
and the shield instead of your normal connectors. The shield is  pulled off to
the side and twisted together so that it's basically one conductor  where it's
butt connected as well.

    There's a VE1 that's done that for years with  hardline (I think he just
twists the conductors) on 160M and then using liter  soda bottles over the top
for wx proofing but I've got no idea of the say, 20M  implications. Would you
see a big jump in SWR or what? The situation is that a  6' jumper was used to
connect a damaged feedline so there are butt connectors at  both ends of the
jumper.

    Tnx for your input.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC