[TowerTalk] Splicing rotator/control wires

To: SteppIR@yahoogroups.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Splicing rotator/control wires
From: UpTheTower@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 18:19:25 EDT
Howdy --

    When I'm splicing non-RF cables - e.g. rotator  control cables, SteppIR
cables, etc. - I usually use good old crimp butt  connectors. I've used
hundreds of them over the years and never had a problem.

    Recently I had to repair a MonstIR that had spun in  an M2 Orion rotator
(another story) and ripped the coax and control cable. My  customer works for
the local telephone company and provided some AVAYA 709-SC  connectors.
They're typically used with JKT telephone pairs but worked  fabulously with the
big
SteppIR cable. You just push the non-stripped wires into  the end of the
connector and squeeze it together with a pair of pliers. They're  clear so you
can
see the wire pairs are connected correctly and that they're  pushed in far
enough - you just about can't screw them up. They even have some  silicone in
them that squishes out when you seat them, providing a layer of  weather
proofing.

    The connectors are for wire sizes 22 thru 26 gauge  and are great for
rotator cable too. Google the product nomenclature and you'll  turn up a couple
of vendors.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -