Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing rotator/control wires

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing rotator/control wires
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:39:02 -0400

> For those new to crimped connectors, the proper crimping tool is not
> the cheap kind sold at run of the mill hardware stores for ten bucks
> or less. The kind you want has a compound lever and ratchet

I worked in the chemical industry for over 26 years.  We used just a plain
old crimper, not the combination wire stripper and crimper. They cost on the
order of  $20 and never had a problem with using them even in critical
applications. These were the type that put a a deep indent ation on one side
of the connector.  HOWEVER, we actually had to train on using that tool. Be
they end connectors of various shapes and sizes, or butt splices they had to
test good.

I can only guess at the number of splices and connectors added, but over
those 26 years I'd imagine the shop made millions of splices. I'd defy any
one to pull the wires out of one and I'd bet the wires would break first,
but like any tool it's knowing how to use it.

Roger (K8RI)