[TowerTalk] SteppIR for C31XR

To: "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SteppIR for C31XR
From: "StellarCAT" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 07:37:31 -0700
I have 3 C31's in a stack... they work quite well I must say. I
have low vswr on all 3 (well when I don't have interactions on
10 and 15 from the guys)... I have never had a Steppir so I
cannot comment on its performance - I know that it has god-like
qualities by some on the air but when all is said and done it is
just a beam. I suspect if they were side by side (separated
horizontally C31 - 3elStepp) their performance would be similar
on 20... on 15 the C31 might be a little more noticeable... on
10 the C31 is probably 1/2 an s-unit stronger (a good share of
receivers today having about 4db/s-unit). Not enough in and of
itself to select one over the other and the additional features
of the SteppIR provide further justification for it... in your
situation I doubt the SteppIR will ever be better - or stated
differently the higher antenna will in most cases be better
simply due to angle of radiation - whatever the lower antenna is
(within reason). My choices were based mainly on cost but also
high up on my hit-list was the worry of failure - I don't climb
and finding someone that does is impossible anymore without
paying $100+/hr.... thus I really did not want something that
might fail. Their service seems excellent with people getting
replacement motors overnighted etc - but if the antenna did not
fail in the first place it would not be necessary! I overheard
someone on the air a few nights ago talking of their (or a
friends - I forget) experience with 2 of these... both failed
due to lightning hits - both were repaired readily - both
required a crane! I am sure these are the exceptions although it
is not the first time I have heard of it - but I did not want to
be in that category.

I will say one thing - I saw one of these a couple months ago -
the Monstirr... I was VERY impressed by how well it is made!

g.
[K9RX]