Re: [TowerTalk] Repair HD-BX Tower?

To: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Repair HD-BX Tower?
From: jpk5lad@cox.net
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 17:52:08 -0500
Yep, those rivets are aluminum.  I had a friend who
wanted to "refresh" his HDX-48 tower's coating and
took it to a galvanizing place.  When they dipped the
sections into the hot metal vat, the aluminum rivets
completely melted.  He got back a tower kit which
looked like a gigantic Erector Set.
Jim - K5LAD

On 12 May 2007 at 18:42, WA3GIN wrote:

> With all due respect. I would favor the stainless. The stress in this
> area of the tower is many times less than the rating for the given
> diameter of stainless.  Not having to deal with rust that may migrate
> to the tower legs is a really important factor.  Many times you can't
> see underneath the paint which would make that method risky.
>
> I believe the revits are aluminum so that should tell you a lot about
> the stress concern.  Just my two cents. I'm not the God of stainless
> steel bolts ;-)
>
> enjoy,
> dave
> wa3gin

"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something
stupid to say and then don't say it." -- Sam
Levenson
My Web Page - http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad