Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR versus SteppIR

To: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR versus SteppIR
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 11:56:19 -0700
At 11:09 AM 5/11/2007, Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:
>Look, I like complexity.  I use motorized switched matching networks
>on my antennas so I don't have to use a regular tuner...
>
>The issue that I would be considering with something like a SteppIR is
>more that it is both complex and has quite specialized parts.
>
>If my aluminum tribander has loose rivets the day before  a contest I
>can go to Home Depot and get rivets... or if not rivets, screws.
>
>If my beryllium copper tape gets snarled, I have to wait for a
>replacement part.

If one were concerned about availability (in the MTBF/MTTR sense),
one could, of course, just maintain a stock of spare parts..  Sure,
there's an expense, but it depends what the availability is worth. If
you're really cost constrained, your backup might be the spool of
magnet wire in your tool box.  It's all a tradeoff between time,
money, and performance, and everyone has a different take on the
relative values, which makes life quite interesting.

Jim, W6RMK