Re: [TowerTalk] {TowerTalk] Ameritron and Array Solutions antennaswitche

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] {TowerTalk] Ameritron and Array Solutions antennaswitches -question
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:53:36 -0400
>I would strongly recommend against mounting the relays any higher than 5' on
>your tower.  After my second lightning strike, I moved all of my relays to
>the bottom of my towers where it is so much easier to work on them.  I own
>two Array Solution SixPaks and they work very well for SO2R, to my knowledge
>Ameritron does not offer the two line input.  If you are not interested in
>SO2R, than I would just look at the construction of each box as well as the
>customer service and pricing and decide which one is best for you.
>
>John KK9A

SO2R would be *real* nice to have, especially since 15 will probably
start opening up in a year or two, and 10 shortly after that.

I may just wind up not getting anything in this case. The whole idea
was to convert to 1/2" Heliax up the tower (it's a crank-up tower,
not freestanding) to the relay box, then runs of RG-213 to the
various antennas. It's only about 30' of coax from the operating
position to the base of the tower. Right now I have a 4-position
switch on the T-T 238 tuner that seems to do the job (one of the
positions has a 2-position switch after it (80 and 160 antenna). If
the relay box is close to the bottom, I'm still going to have 4 runs
of hardline at #70 feet each, then having to adapt the N-connectors
to PL-259s to directly connect to the antennas.

I figured putting everything up at the top would give me a good deal
financially and performance-wise. At ~$2.50 a foot, that will add up
pretty fast if I'm running 4 lines up the tower...figuring $280 for
feedline, probably another $125 for connectors AND the cost of the
switchbox itself. I think I may be getting into the realm of
diminishing returns by mounting all this at ground-level. Hrmpf.
That's suddenly a LOT of money for an extra dB or so and some
operating convenience.

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT