Re: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods in rocky soil

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Peter Dougherty" <w2irt@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods in rocky soil
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:10:46 -0400
If it MUST absolutely have a ground rod, which I dont understand why, then
drilling is one option it seems. You can rent air or electric impact drills
and extensions. You may want to treat the soil down the hole with a saline
solution and salt crystals as it appears that you wont get much ground
conductivity with just the rod.

I live on a ridge with solid ledge less than 2' down and run on the ground
radials for my Beverages and elevated radials for verticals.

For my house AC ground I drove in two 8' utility company grade rods at
opposing angles and tied them together with #00 battery cable; been there
since 89 and seem to do the job.

Carl
KM1H