Re: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods in rocky soil

To: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods in rocky soil
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:46:47 -0400
At 05:10 PM 05/24/2007, jeremy-ca wrote:
>If it MUST absolutely have a ground rod, which I dont understand
>why, then drilling is one option it seems. You can rent air or
>electric impact drills and extensions. You may want to treat the
>soil down the hole with a saline solution and salt crystals as it
>appears that you wont get much ground conductivity with just the rod.
>
>I live on a ridge with solid ledge less than 2' down and run on the
>ground radials for my Beverages and elevated radials for verticals.

That's the description here, too. on the western side of a small
rocky mountain. There are a few places I got an 8' rod down using the
electrician's Bosch hammerdrill last year, but most only went down
about 4 to 5 feet. I suspect this soil conductivity is also extremely
poor. All this for a few countries on 160 and a few more on 80!

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT