Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical
From: "Mike K9MI" <mike@k9mi.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:10:29 -0000
One of the new Generals in town has purchased a 30ft pushup mast, the 4 band
Hustler trap vertical (around 21.5 ft) and wants someone to install this for
him with the mast bolted to a side of his house. Hustler shows elevating the
antenna similar to what he wants to do (actually he wants someone else to do
the work), with 2 radials for each of the 4 bands.

I've tried to get him to ground mount the vertical close to the center of
the backyard and put his radial system in the ground a few inches. He
doesn't think that is a very good idea. Where he wants to place the vertical
on the mast and, he will only have 180 degrees to work with in separating
the radials. I don't see that he has 8 places to tie them off to.

I've never used an elevated trap vertical. I don't know how critical the
length and tuning of the radials would be and how important it is that you
have 180 degree separation between radials of the same band. And is the
difference worth the hassle over  ground mounting with a decent radial
system?  Ground mounting is what I used as a novice with a 14 Avq (around 28
years ago) , and that seemed sufficient to me at the time.

I'd appreciate other opinions, and replying direct is fine.

73, Mike K9MI    mike@k9mi.com