Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical

To: "'Mike K9MI'" <mike@k9mi.com>,"'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"'Al Williams'" <alwilliams@olywa.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical
From: "Forrest Wolf" <forrestw@gbis.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:38:21 -0700
Mike,

I'll toss in what I've found on my vertical.  I'm using a Butternut HF9V-X.
Butternut has a schematic for a multi-band ground radial on their site that
is made out of 300 ohm TV ribbon lead.  Frank built up 3 of them for me.
The base of the Butternut is approx. 8' off the ground and the radials
sloped down and were tied off at approx 5' off the ground.  Because of the
location, I couldn't tie them off @ ground level.  My 20m inverted V @ 35'
worked better 99% of the time.

I pulled those off & installed 8 radials on 20m and 8 on 17m.  They slope
down @ approx 45 degrees.  They are tied off about 3" above ground level.  A
world of difference.  Now I can switch between the two antennas and see a
significant difference with propagation changes.  The difference is obvious
on the S Meter and when watching the PSK waterfall, you can switch between
the 2 antennas and pick up and/or elimiate signals.

Also, I was told the higher the better for the Butternut.

73s
Forrest
K7OCR