Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR problem

To: "Bill Carnett" <ah6fc@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR problem
From: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:58:49 -0400
This has been a very difficult problem.  We could find nothing to suspect
except the power supply, but a 2nd PS did the same thing.  SteppIR's
engineers suggested the following:
(1) bad controller (we tried that... same problem)
(2) bad power supply (tried that... twice... problem persisted)
(3) something in the cable (arrestor, etc) but there was nothing
(4) ground short somewhere (ruled out by checking cable pin-by-pin)
(5) station ground loop (I don't recall this being tested for or ruled out)

Several mentions were made that it was related to the 500 feet of control
cable, but SteppIR's engineers say the longer cable would actually help
reduce the load, so cable length has been ruled out.

What about the possibility of a ground loop that doesn't manifest itself
until there's 4 elements connected??

Could there be a problem related to moisture in the long conduit?

73, Jerry K3BZ