Re: [TowerTalk] step away from stepIR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] step away from stepIR
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:05:28 -0500
...."One thing that bothers me about this is that this doesn't guarantee
that the Z at the feedpoint is actually 50 j0."...

Who cares? The whole point of doing the adjustment was to get a better
match for the transmitter.
-------------------------------
..." The other question i have is, how do you know the element length
that gives you a match to 50 ohm feedline, is the antenna dimension that
gives you optimum gain and F/B?  Is the element length for 50 ohm Z
always the length for best performance?  "....

No, the 50 ohm point is not always the best for optimum performance.
The antenna works just like any other antenna in terms of feedpoint
impedance, gain and F/B.  You can make small adjustments of the driven
element which will change the feedpoint impedance, without significantly
effecting the other parameters of the antenna.  This is the only
adjustment you should do unless you know what you are doing.  Length of
all the elements can be changed, but arbitrarily changing them will
destroy the performance of the antenna.

Jerry, K4SAV