Re: [TowerTalk] step away from stepIR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] step away from stepIR
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:29:33 +0000
Real interesting comments from everyone in response to my questions--thanks.
  Yes I assumed some sort of balun would be used--I made no mention of it
because it is a standard part of yagi design usually so I figured its
inclusion was generally understood.   Someone wrote that the f/p Z doesn't
matter--the whole point is to have 1:1 vswr at the tx--I laughed when I read
that--it sounded like a justification for a big resistor at the tx (just
kidding).  Anyway, if low vswr were the only consideration I'd suggest a
regular yagi paired with a remote controlled feedline transmatch up on the
tower, however the ability to perform a 180 degree flip and bi-directional
operation are unique advantages.

73,

rob / k5uj