[TowerTalk] Balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:22:48 EDT
Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    I'm putting up a huge F12 6M beam and the B1 balun  is AFU - the SO-239
on it pulled out. :-(

    The non-technical support advice from F12 was to  wind an RF choke. Umm,
okay. I'm not a huge fan of them on HF so Lord knows what  happens when you
use one at 50 mHz.

    Can anyone tells me what happens? Should I be using  a current-type balun
ala' W2AU or should I wind the choke? If so, what size is  it?

    Part deux. In my meager understanding, a balun  is a transformer that
goes from balanced-to-unbalanced (bal-un, get  it?) vis-a-vis a feedpoint. It
also functions as an RF choke to prevent RF  from spilling down the outside of
the shield. A coax wound RF choke  doesn't really "transform" anything but does
choke the stray RF trying  to come down the outside of the shield. Am I close?

    Anyway, all comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH