Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:56:40 -0700
First of all, thanks for the excellent information provided in your
tutorials and reflector postings.

Per your comment below, I'm curious why I don't hear people using small
diameter high-flexibility heliax for ferrite core baluns.  FSJ1-50 (1/4
inch diameter) and FSJ2-50 (3/8 inch diameter) are both rated for a
one-time bend radius of 1 inch, and either should handle a lot of
power.  Short lengths (5 to 50 feet)  of both types regularly show up on
eBay at well under a buck a foot.  Official Andrew connectors are also
usually available, although at HF I don't think it should be a problem
to simply hardwire the heliax to more common connectors.

Just curious.

73,
Dave  AB7E