Re: [TowerTalk] Wire for Quad

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire for Quad
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:53:04 -0400
Never used a quad but the best wire Ive used for 80/160M dipoles and
verticals is good old #12 stranded and insulated electrical wire.
Since it is soft drawn you need to cut to approximate length and then
stretch it; I use a garden tractor at one end and the trailer hitch on my
truck for the other. A comealong would work also. Try stretching with some
short scraps to get a feel for what it takes; getting carried away will
guarantee breakage. Once prestretched it will hold dimensions.
Mine have been up about 17 years, Black is very good for UV resistance.

In order to eliminate solder induced "rot" I use small guy wire clamps at
the far ends and at the feedpoint  insulator. The bitter end is then folded
back with some slack and soldered to the lug on the insulator/support. The
combination of no strain and use of FluxOff equals no breakage.

Carl
KM1H