Re: [TowerTalk] Wire for Quad

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire for Quad
From: John Tait <bravo@iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:46:34 +0100
JACK KZ4USA wrote:
> #14, 7 strand hard drawn copper wire from Davis RF. Is this good wire
> for my 20 meter 6 El Quad project?
>
> What are most people using for their Quads?
>

> Jack
> KZ4USA

That wire sounds good to me Jack. If it's insulated, your elements will
be about 2 per cent smaller than for bare wire. Don't connect it in too
rigid a fashion at the arms. I use a cheap copy of the N2US approach. He
uses stainless steel jubilee clips and nylon webbing. I use a pair of
heavy duty "Tie Wraps".
http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/images/Quad/cabletiespic.jpg       I've not had
a broken element yet. Occasionally I'll have a broken cable tie after a
bad storm, but the wire elements are free to move at the attachment
point, so they don't flex and break.
I use single strand hard drawn copper wire, about 1.5mm OD which was
"rescued" from the telephone company.
  Good luck with your Quad OM.. Vy 73.

  John EI7BA     http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/