Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped Tribanders Turned Vertical

To: "'K4SAV'" <RadioIR@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped Tribanders Turned Vertical
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:00:29 -0400
W4SAV wrote:

> Well, my original statement is not 100% true for all heights, and
> neither is yours.  Here are some EZNEC numbers for a three
> element Yagi turned either vertically of horizontally.

Even at 20 meters, 150 feet or more is a bit out of reach for most
people.  However, your statement is correct at heights that begin
to approach free space conditions (5 to 10 wavelength).  With those
heights horizontal antennas loose their "ground reflection gain"
and the vertical antennas lose the ground losses (which are not
reflected in your models).

When one reaches true free space conditions, the antennas will
have identical gain but amateur HF antennas are located in the
real world (above ground) unless your station is located on ISS.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV