Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Controller

To: <RLVZ@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Controller
From: "Dick Green" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 13:09:31 -0400
I wasn't aware that the FT-1000MP had a problem, but the FT-1000D definitely
does, at least with the old controller firmware. Yaesu has done a
particularly bad job designing its protocols. For example, the data packet
sent by the 1000D has no delimiters marking the beginning and end of the
packet, making it very difficult for software to capture packets and decode
them accurately. The best solution is to monitor the protocol commands sent
by the radio, but this is rather difficult to squeeze into limited memory
space in a controller that's not real fast.

I got around it in my PIC-based SteppIR controller (details on www.wc1m.com)
by using short timeouts on reads and counting the number of characters
received. If I don't get a full packet, I wait for the next one. It's a
kludge, but it works. In fact, part of the reason I built the PIC-based
interface was to get around the fact that the Yaesu protocol doesn't work on
the SteppIR controller. I know of at least one other ham radio product that
doesn't work with the 1000D for the same reason.

I haven't tried the Yaesu protocol with the new SteppIR firmware yet.

73, Dick WC1M